Downloadable slides from the symposium, Identifying and Correcting Disparities in Cancer Care for Minority Populations: The Importance of Participation by Non-Oncologists, held in conjunction with the National Medical Association annual meeting in Philadelphia. These downloadable slides provide a broad overview of current treatment principles, along with key outstanding challenges related to disparities in oncology.
Aug 3, 2017
Aug 3, 2018
- Arthur L. Burnett, MD, MBA, FACS, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, United States
- Lisa A. Newman, MD, MPH, FACS, FASCO, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, Michigan, United States
- Carol L. Brown, MD, FACOG, FACS, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, United States
- Michael J. Hall, MD, MS, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
- Edith P. Mitchell, MD, FACP, FCPP, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
This educational activity is specifically designed to meet the needs of oncologists, registered nurses, and other healthcare professionals involved in the treatment of patients with CINV.
After successful completion of this educational activity, participants should be able to:
- Employ current evidence-based best practices regarding the utilization of diagnostic tools for patients with prostate cancer
- Assess the implications of disparities on the diagnosis of patients with breast cancer and utilize strategies to overcome these disparities to improve outcomes
- Integrate recent data regarding the potential influence of racial disparities on the diagnosis and, ultimately, clinical outcomes of patients with cervical cancer
- Evaluate the implications of disparities on screening and diagnosis for patients with Lynch syndrome
This educational activity is supported by grants from Astellas; Lilly USA, LLC; and Merck and Co, Inc.
Enduring Materials From a Certified Activity
This enduring material, derived from a certified live event, contains content that is evidence-based, balanced, and free of commercial bias. While the content was planned and implemented by prIME Oncology for a certified live event, this activity does not offer continuing education credit.
This activity is provided by prIME Oncology.
Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships
The faculty reported the following financial relationships or relationships to products or devices they or their spouses/life partners have with commercial interest related to the content of this activity:
Dr Mitchell has disclosed that she has received fees for participation in advisory or review activities from Novartis. She has agreed to disclose any unlabeled/unapproved uses of drugs or products referenced in her presentation.
Dr Burnett has disclosed that he has received consulting fees from Astellas, Auxillium, Inc., Genomic Health Inc., Reflexonic LLC, and Vivus. He also received contracted research fees from American Medical Systems/Boston Scientific, Coloplast, Endo Pharmaceuticals, Medispec, and Pfizer. He has agreed to disclose any unlabeled/unapproved uses of drugs or products referenced in his presentation.
Dr Brown has disclosed that she has no relevant financial relationships to report. She has agreed to disclose any unlabeled/unapproved uses of drugs or products referenced in her presentation.
Dr Hall has disclosed that he has no relevant financial relationships to report. He has agreed to disclose any unlabeled/unapproved uses of drugs or products referenced in his presentation.
Dr Newman has disclosed that she has no relevant financial relationships to report. She has agreed to disclose any unlabeled/unapproved uses of drugs or products referenced in her presentation.
The employees of prIME Oncology have disclosed:
- Lee Lokey, MD (medical director content reviewer/planner) – no relevant financial relationships
- Zach Hartman, PhD (scientific content reviewer/planner) – Stock ownership in Ariad Pharmaceuticals and Advaxis, Inc.
- Amy Furedy, RN, OCN (scientific content reviewer/planner) – no relevant financial relationships
- Jessica Mastrodomenico, MPH (editorial content reviewer) – no relevant financial relationships
Participants have an implied responsibility to use the newly acquired information to enhance patient outcomes and their own professional development. The information presented in this activity is not meant to serve as a guideline for patient management. Any procedures, medications, or other courses of diagnosis or treatment discussed or suggested in this activity should not be used by clinicians without evaluation of their patients’ conditions and possible contraindications or dangers in use, review of any applicable manufacturer’s product information, and comparison with recommendations of other authorities.
Disclosure Regarding Unlabeled Use
This activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the US Food and Drug Administration or European Medicines Agency. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product discussed for discussions of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings.